Porridge is my favourite breakfast as it fuels me for my day! It’s super quick to make if you’re stuck for time in the morning so there is no excuses to skip a delicious and nutritious breakfast!! As well as it being extremely nourishing, porridge providing me with so much energy as the slow releasing carbohydrates keep me full and satisfied for ages!
- 35g steel-cut oats
- enough water to just cover the oats*
- 1/2 mashed banana (the rest of the banana chopped to top the porridge)
- Handful of mixed frozen berries (you can use fresh too)
- 1tsp of honey
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp chia seeds
- 1tsp flaxseed
- 1tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1tsp sunflower seeds
- Splash of almond milk (or soya/coconut/skimmed)
- Place the oats into a saucepan and fill with enough cold water so that all the oats are covered in water
- In another saucepan place a handful of frozen berries (or fresh if you prefer) and add 1/2-1tsp of honey (depending on how sweet you want it!)
- Bring the oats to boil on medium heat, whilst this is boiling, place the fruit on a low heat to simmer until bubbling slightly.
- Once the oats have come to the boil, turn down the heat and let them gently cook for 4-5
- About a minute before the oats are cooked I add in 1/2 a mashed banana, 1tsp of honey and a splash of almond milk to loosen up the mix and make them super creamy.
- Once the oats are cooked and now nice and creamy transfer them into your bowl.
- Top the oats with the cinnamon, chia seeds and the pumpkin and sunflower seeds and the other half of the banana on one side of the porridge.
- Once the berries have melted to a compote, pour them onto other half of your porridge.
- Dig in and enjoy!
*I personally prefer to make my oats with water, but feel free to use half milk and half water or even just milk! You can also add whatever topping you want, the list is endless! From fresh fruit, your favourite nut butter, raisins, or simply just enjoy the porridge plain.
I hope you give this energy boosting breakfast a go! Let me know if you enjoy it.